Kingswood Fire Station, Bristol
Revamp of an existing fire station, delivered with £500,000 of value engineering savings
Willmott Dixon is working in partnership with Avon Fire and Rescue Service to deliver three new fire stations at Kingswood, Hicks Gate and Temple within the Bristol area.
The work at Kingswood involved the refurbishment and extension of an existing fire station to accommodate an amalgamation of two stations.
The site, approximately 3,600 sq m in area, contained several buildings, including a single storey three-door appliance bay – where fire engines are housed – in the main operational station. There was also a covered wash area behind and a two-storey accommodation block including entrance, offices, and dormitories.
Our work increased floor space by over 250 sq m, through construction 14 individual quiet rooms, including circulation and bathrooms, plus an additional appliance bay, 14m by 7m in area.
We also improved and upgraded welfare facilities such as bathrooms, dining area and study rooms.
- Major value engineering exercise and redesign resulted in £500,000 worth of savings, 25% of the original solution.
- A rapid design development period of six weeks, organised with the client project team, was successfully amended and submitted the scheme to the planning authority.
- Rapid procurement of key trades such as steelwork, cladding, M&E, and ground works to help develop the revised design solution.
- Major value engineering exercise resulted in £500,000 worth of savings, 25% of the original solution.
- Rapid design development period of six weeks, with scheme resubmitted to planners.
- Fast procurement of key trades to help develop the revised design solution
Eden House, 82 Macrae Road, Eden Office Park, Pill, Bristol
Tel: 01179 349 214
Fax: 01179 277 565