Willmott Dixon is a privately-owned contracting and interior fit-out group. Founded in 1852, we are family run and dedicated to leaving a positive legacy in our communities and environment
In 1852 John Willmott undertook his first contract for the sum of £1. Since then, Willmott Dixon has grown into a £1 billion business that remains privately-owned.
Group chief executive Rick Willmott is the fifth generation of the Willmott family to lead the business, aided by some of the industry's most astute people and supported by a team of experts in construction and property services.
John Willmott, a young bricklayer, founds the company in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire.
William John Willmott is the first of John Willmott's sons to buy a conjoining business. The firm becomes known as John Willmott & Sons.
The family starts its tradition of training sons within the business when William John Willmott's son, William George, starts an apprenticeship.
The business separates into John Willmott & Sons (Hitchin) Ltd and John Willmott & Sons (Hornsey) Ltd.
The company completes its first housing development, the Manor Estate.
The company commemorates its 100th anniversary with a dinner and concert for all employees
Harold Sam Willmott takes over from William George Willmott as Chairman.
To widen the company's portfolio, the housing company John Willmott Developments Ltd is formed and trades for over 10 years.
Peter William Willmott replaces his father Harold Sam Willmott as Chairman.
John Willmott & Sons (Hornsey) Ltd and John Willmott & Sons (Hitchin) Ltd reunite under the parent company John Willmott Construction Ltd.
The Group turnover increases to £2.2m.
The company moves its head office to the site of a church where the Willmotts were active during in early 1900s.
The name changes to John Willmott Holdings Ltd.
For a short period of time the company trades in Guernsey through John Willmott Holdings (CI).
The company relocates to a larger space at Henlow, Bedfordshire which offers a suite of offices, warehousing and land with development potential.
The company makes its most significant acquisition, A.S. Symes Ltd, which boosts turnover and establishes a presence in London.
To mark the company's 125th anniversary, celebrated by a dinner and dance for staff, The Ten Year Club is launched to recognises employee loyalty.
The company completes a contract to refurbish the Royal Institution of the Chartered Surveyors (RICS) headquarters in London.
The company moves to Goldinton Road, Bedford where its joinery and plant operations are combined.
The Queen opens the completed RICS headquarters.
The Group turnover increases to £29.8m.
The name of the Group changes to Willmott Dixon Ltd and this is the year when future Chief Executive Colin Enticknap joins.
The company forms The Willmott Dixon Distinction Club to recognise excellence in professional studies.
To expand operations the subsidary company Willmott Dixon Construcoes (Portugal) SA is formed, based in Laoga, Portugal.
Colin Enticknap becomes Group Chief Executive.
Willmott Dixon Housing completes the Blackbird Leys project in Oxford, recognised at the time as the country's largest social housing project.
The company moves its head office to vibrant premises on the Spirella complex in Letchworth Garden City, where it remains today.
The company celebrates its 150th anniversary by entertaining shareholders, staff and their families to a day's racing at Ascot.
To honour its origins, the company replaces the gates to Willmott Playing Fields in Bassingbourne, which Samuel Willmott donated in 1936.
Rick Willmott is appointed Group Chief Executive, with Colin Enticknap becoming Group Chairman. The company floats its support services business Inspace, with Colin Enticknap as Inspace's Executive Chairman.
The company takes Inspace private again.
The company becomes a carbon neutral business.
Company wins a Queen's Award for Enterprise for sustainable development, underlining its impeccable environment credentials.