Logistically challenging, multi-phased project delivered in live clinical environment
- Multi-phased project with three separate handover dates.
- Maternity department works undertaken in a ‘live’ functioning environment.
- Demolition of an existing A&E department and construction of new facility.
- Endoscopy department design refined to allow sex segregation.
This multi-phase project involved refurbishment of the endoscopy, maternity, and accident & emergency departments, plus delivery of improvements to support facilities and wards.
"By completing this project to such a high standard and improving the birthing environment so dramatically it will have a hugely positive impact on so many women and their families’ experiences."
Claire Mathews, head of midwifery & general manager, women’s & children’s services
- Demolition of the existing A&E department
- Construction of a new facility
- Creating a separate adult and children’s waiting area
- A quiet room for friends/ families to use during stressful events
- A separate screened entrance for ambulances
- Treatment rooms are fitted with appropriate technology allowing A&E staff to see the results of X-rays and blood tests at the patient’s bedside.
- The new A&E allows for improved observation and is better equipped to cope with peaks in demand by providing a central staff hub at the heart of the treatment area.
Our health planners identified issues relating to privacy and dignity with the 1:200 plans produced prior to our appointment. Willmott Dixon refined the design to deliver a fully sex segregated environment that delivered patient privacy and dignity standards within the same budget parameters and ‘tight’ time constraints stipulated by the Trust.
Early engagement with specialist suppliers to size the process areas/endoscopy rooms enabled accurate calculation of heat loads.
The project was undertaken in a ‘live’ functioning environment. Willmott Dixon maintained a high level of security for staff , mothers and new born babies whilst accessing & egressing the building with materials and operatives. Noise and vibration levels were continuously monitored.
ExpertiseWorking In Live Environments Refurbishment
Willmott Dixon House, Cliffe Park, Bruntcliffe Road, Morley, Leeds, West Yorkshire
Tel: 0113 238 3283
Fax: 0113 238 0286
Hollinwood Business Centre, Albert Mill, Albert Street, Hollinwood, Oldham, Lancashire
Tel: 0161 947 3960
Fax: 0161 947 3961North