We achieved Britain’s most prestigious title for a third time, winning a 2019 Queen’s Award for Enterprise for our sustainable development progress.
It’s the second time the company has won this accolade for Sustainable Development, the first being in 2014, and comes a year after we picked up a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the category of Promoting Opportunity through social mobility for our work improving opportunities for people in local communities.
The latest award recognises a series of sustainable achievements that include;
- reducing carbon emissions relative to turnover by 59 per cent since 2010
- cutting construction waste intensity by 57% since 2012
- 100% natural renewable electricity purchased to supply our sites and offices by end 2018
- carbon neutral for the 6th year running
- Increasing by 50% (to nearly £35k) the amount paid in green bonuses to employees choosing low emissions cars
- Achieved Level 2 of The Carbon Trust’s Supply Chain Standard – only company in sector to achieve this
- Only contractor to hold The Carbon Trust Standard
We also set the benchmark for use of natural energy last year by ensuring all offices and sites are powered by 100% energy from renewable sources.
Our track-record for low-energy buildings was also a factor. Following completion of the Passivhaus certified George Davies Centre for the University of Leicester, Willmott Dixon is now applying its Passivhaus expertise to build Sutton Secondary school – the first secondary school in the UK to be built to Passivhaus standards.
Another factor was our use of The Wildlife Trusts, where project teams can access their ecology services with the money paid to the Trusts reinvested in local biodiversity enhancements.
Find out more about the award in this short film:
Group chief executive Rick Willmott:
“Receiving this accolade for a third time is a real honour that helps define our company’s approach to being a responsible business. Our purpose beyond profit ethos is about leaving a positive, sustainable legacy for future generations and this award is a wonderful recognition of our people’s hard work and commitment to make a difference. Whether for sustainability or social value we are incredibly proud to be setting the standard for our industry.”